How bad your day would be when you start your car engine and nothing happened…!
You are already getting late and don’t want to wait for someone to come and give you a jump start. You will be blessed at that moment if you have the best portable jump starters.
Regardless the type of car that you have, if it’s a new or old it is always recommended that you must have a battery backup solution. Something that can charge your car in the event that your car battery for whatever reason discharges.
I have always been a really big fan of jump starters and car battery chargers because they are real lifesavers. Suppose if you are living in a cold weather or get stuck somewhere on the road. Your car is not turning on and your battery dies. Jump starters are the thing that comes first to mind.
Best Portable Jump Starters 2018
The cool thing that I like about these portable jump starter is that they can start your car immediately. You don’t have to wait for someone or look around to give your battery a boost. You can jump start it just as if there is another vehicle.
We have combined a list of top 10 best portable jump starters 2018, which I recommend you to look at it before making a purchase. Each and every jump starter is chosen by our pro reviewers.
|Jump-N-Carry JNC660 |
|18 pounds||1700 Amps||No|
|STANLEY FATMAX J7CS||10.6 pounds||700 Amps||3|
|1.1 pounds||18000 mAh||2|
|Schumacher PSJ-2212 DSR||23 pounds||2200 Amps||No|
|Beatit 800A-Smart Jumper Cables||1.19 pounds||18000mAh||2|
|Rugged Geek RG1000 Safety Plus||0.99 pounds||1000 Amps||2|
|GOOLOO 800A-Quick Charge 3.0||1.16 pounds||18000mAh||2|
|Schumacher XP2260||24 pounds||1200 Amps||1|
|DBPOWER 300A Peak||1.5 pounds||8000mAh||1|
|Aickar 800A Peak||2.8 pounds||19800mAh||2|
Now without making any further delay, let’s check out our detail review of top 10 best portable jump starters.
1. Jump-N-Carry JNC660 – 12V Jump Starter:
JNC660 is top on our list of portable car jump starters. This jump starter is good for fleet and automotive services, your own garage plus more. It is one of the most powerful portable jump starters in the market. It has a built-in AC charger that recharges automatically. Its charging system has an automatic charging routine that stops the charging when the battery reaches its full charge. It has 1700 peak amperes and battery status indicator gauge.
It comes with a DC outlet to power 12-volt accessories. Now, this is very popular and rated very well on Amazon. What people like about this is that it is very powerful it’s easy to carry just about any anywhere. It has the ability to keep its charge for a long period of time.
When you bought this jump starter, you need to charge it for at least 24 hours.
- It provides enough power so that you can start more than one vehicle.
- This jump starter contains 12-volt sealed, non-spillable battery which you can place in any position.
- Very nice design voltmeter.
- It comes with robust components.
- When you are not using this, its battery will still last for 30 days.
- It has the best heavy duty case with high quality cables.
12 Volt Peak Amps: 1700
12 Volt Cranking Amps: 425
Cable Length: 46″
Cable Gauge: #2 AWG
Charger Type: Automatic
Indicator Display: Volt Gauge
- It can start all the passenger vehicles and light commercial.
- Built-in 12-volt output.
- High quality and built for a pro.
- Upon purchasing you will get a coupon for out of warranty service.
- Price can be an issue.
2. STANLEY FATMAX J7CS – With 120 PSI Air Compressor:
This Stanley Fatmax is second in our list of portable car jump starters because of its heavy duty in nature. It’s a complete power station which not just only going to jumpstart your car. But it also going to plate your tires and give you power when you need it.
When you first get it home you should charge it up for 48 hours and don’t worry about overcharging. Every time you use it, you should recharge it and then every 30 days check its charging. Just so it’s topped off.
At the back, it has the actual jump-start cables which you can connect to the battery. This portable jump starter is very simple and easy to use. For activating the actual jump-start, you just have to turn this on and connect positive and negative to the battery. It also has a USB port and 12-volt outlet so that you can charge your phone or tablet while traveling. If you have a big car you can choose from its other models of portable jump starters like 1000 or 1400 Peaks. That can start all the six or eight cylinders cars or SUV vans.
Recharging this is also very easy. The charging cube is built-in so you plug any extension cord in, plug it into the wall it’s going to charge it up. The battery gauge is going to light up and let you know exactly where it stands. It’s full when all three LEDs are lit up the green.
- The Stanley comes with the 120-volts charging adapter.
- It comes with Air hose and SureFit nozzle connector
- It also has a USB port and 12-volt outlet so that you can charge your phone or tablet while traveling.
- Reverse polarity indicator is one of its cool feature.
- Different types of battery status LED indicators.
- It has the pivoting LED area light with the power
- It also has the 12-volt DC charging port.
Boost Ampere: 12Vdc, 700A peak battery, 350A instantaneous
Battery Type: Maintenance-free, sealed lead acid, 12 volt DC, 9aH
Compressor Maximum Pressure: 120 PSI
DC accessory outlet: 12Vdc, 5A
USB Outlet: 5Vdc, 2A
- It performs flawlessly for jump starts and real life saver, especially in winters.
- On and off safety switch.
- An audible alarm will sound if you hook the clamps in the wrong polarity.
- It works well in extremely hot and cold weather.
- It is a bit noisy.
- Too bulky in size
3. DBPOWER 600A – Portable Car Jump Starter:
DBPOWER has a wide range of best portable jump starters that are not just amazing, but also affordable too. This DBPOWER 600 amp jump starter has 18,000 milliamps battery capacity. It has a very high tech battery that can jump start up to 6.5L Gas and 5.2L Diesel Engine. This also acts as a sort of laptop charger or portable power bank. It comes with 8 different laptops adaptors (not fit for MacBook). You can also charge your cell phones or all kinds of stuff.
It has a smart USB which means it will output the appropriate number of amps and it comes with two USB ports.
It comes with a compact and heavy-duty hard-shell case. When it is fully charged, it can jump starts 20 times. Make sure the power of the jumps are is at least 50% before using.
- It has a compass and LCD screen.
- This is faster and one of the smartest portable car jump starter.
- Another cool feature which I like about this is its advanced intelligent jumper cables.
- The high-quality clamps have over current, short-circuit, overload, and over-charge protection.
- Excellent built quality.
- It comes with lots of accessories.
- Enough power to jump start V8 engines.
- Nice and pretty solid carry case.
- Intelligent protection clamps.
- Multi-functional LED flashlight.
- Jumper cables are too short.
- Does not support Apple devices charging.
- Compass size is also very small.
- The display screen is also a bit small.
4. Schumacher PSJ-2212, DSR ProSeries:
Schumacher is one of the largest companies in the US for the manufacturing of Battery Chargers, Jump Starters and other battery related accessories. The PSJ-2212 has high output AGM battery, specially formulated to perform multiple jump-starts per charge. This has an internal 3 amp automatic charger. It comes with best copper cables which stay flexible in cold weather.
PSJ-2212 features a reverse alarm to prevent damage to the internal battery. It comes with a two function digital display that monitors the internal and the vehicle’s battery voltage and percentage of charge. This jump-starter have a durable rust and corrosion proof polypropylene case. It also has rubber base with a 12 volt DC power outlet.
Schumacher recommends to charger its jump starter on regular basis. When you first purchase it, charge immediately. It is also recommended that if a jump starter is not using for a long time. You still have to charge it after every 30 days to keep the jump starter fully charged.
- Safety on/off switch.
- 12 Volt DC power outlet.
- Best heavy duty clamps with replaceable jaws.
- It is fan vented for extra cooling and safety.
Internal Battery Type: Sealed, Maintenance Free, AGM, Lead-Acid Nominal
Voltage: 2V DC
Peak Amps: 2200
Cranking Amps: 330
Cold Cranking Amps: 275
Battery Hookup Cables: 4 gauge, AWG, 50″ (127 cm) Long
- Powerful long lasting battery.
- Works perfectly for the cold weather.
- Durable and easy to use.
- Nice quality material.
- It’s a bit expensive.
- Too heavy in weight.
- Noisy fan.
5. Beatit 800A (For 7.0L Gas or 5.5L Diesel Engines):
In this review, we will talk about Beatit. Beatit is one of those jump starters that everyone needs for their car. This is essentially one of the best portable jump starter. Whether your battery runs out or your alternators messed up, whatever it is. This is the thing that you need it.
It is very lightweight and it comes with a really nice pouch.
This jump starter is pretty much straightforward. When you have an emergency it can start up to 7.0L Gas and 5.5L Diesel engines. This device can also be used as a power bank. It has super bright LED with three operating modes (Illumination, SOS, and Warning).
It has the recharge time of just 5.5 hours, which is pretty quick. One last thing, when you jump starts your battery, you should not recharge it immediately, wait for at least 10 minutes.
- It is compatible with a variety of vehicles.
- Smart protection clamps.
- It has lithium polymer batteries inside of it.
- Can deliver up to 30 jump starts on a single charge.
- This item is very high quality and very durable.
Battery capacity: 18000mAh/66.6WH
Output Voltage: 12V
Charger Mode: CC/CV 15V/1A
Start Current: 400A
Peak Current: 800A
Cycle Life: 3000 times
- Beatit jump starter obviously.
- Intelligent jump cable clamps.
- 12V car charger
- 12V wall charger
- USB charging cable
- Portable comprehensive storage case
- User manual
- Reverse polarity protection.
- Solid battery pack.
- Battery indicator with LED flashlight.
- Quick USB charge.
- Way too little information in the manual.
One of the largest magazine website also writes about this jump-starter. You can read the article by Kyle Schurman on Business Insider. It’s the best seller product.
6. Rugged Geek RG1000 – Battery Booster Pack:
The Rugged Geek RG1000 is an emergency portable jump starter. It is an excellent product which is developed by a group of geeks. This unit is pretty much similar to the other portable jump starters on my list.
The Rugged Geek offers an INTELLIBOOST technology which makes sure to jump-start your car risk-free.
It has a clear Digital LCD. This comes with two USB ports which are very fast. The flashlight has multiple modes. To turn it on, press and hold the power button and if you press it again, it goes into the flashing mode. The flashlight is pretty bright and it works really well at night. Another nice feature is its LCD screen which shows how much percentage of battery is left. When it is fully charged it can jumpstart your car at least 20 times.
- INTELLIBOOST jumper cables that will take care of your battery and jump starter.
- It comes with an air compressor which is very light in weight.
- High-quality material which is especially design for North American consumers.
- Short circuit proof – In case if connected in the wrong
- It can boost up to 7.0L gas and 3.5L gas engines.
Peak Current Rating: 1000A
Design: RG Sport
INTELLIBOOST: Yes, 8 gauge cables
Gas Engine Rating: up to 7.0L
Diesel Engine Rating: up to 3.5L
INTERNAL BATTERY: 39 WH LITHIUM ION
Battery Cycle Life: 1000+
LED Life: 100,000 HOURS
Input (Charging) Voltage: 15V, 1A
CHARGE TIME (AC Adaptor): 3-4 Hours
CHARGE TIME (DC with vehicle running): 4-5 Hours
Output Voltage (USB): 2 @ 5V, 2.1A
Output Voltage (Laptop): 12V/16V/19V, 3.5A
- You will get all your connectors for all different types of laptops (excluding Mac) and cell phones.
- The battery attachment clamps that attach to your car battery.
- It also comes with a little air gauge. It’s going to pump up tires or soccer balls.
- 120V plugin adaptor that’s going to charge your jump starter.
- And of course your jump starter.
- Compact and powerful.
- Smart and fast charging USB ports.
- Built-in multi-mode LED flash.
- Spark proof.
- Air compressor is pretty slow.
7. GOOLOO 800A Peak – Auto Battery Booster:
It can be used to charge your phone, jumpstart a car or charge anything that is USB compatible.
Traveling with this is just unbelievable. You literally could just have this thing with you when you’re going through the mountains or you are in some kind of faraway location. Your car battery dies or someone else needs a jump you literally have this device that can jump-start up to the 7.0L engine on the spot in just one second.
- Two quick charging USB output of 5V and 9V.
- It has the peak current of 800A
- You can jump start up to 30 times on a full
- It has the standby time of 6 months.
- Gooloo suggests to recharge it after every 3 months.
- It has the battery life of 1000+ cycles.
- The LED flashlight has 3-modes (solid, strobe and SOS).
Dimension: 157*75*36 mm/6.18*2.95*1.42 in
Battery Capacity: 18000mAh
Output: Quick Charge (5V/2.4A, 9V/2A);5V/2.1A;12V/10A
Full Charging Time: About 5 hours
Start Current: 350A
Peak Current: 800A
Operating Temperature: -4℉~140℉
- The jump starter itself.
- Jumper cables.
- A charger for charging the jumpstart.
- A connector that plugs into a USB so you can charge your mobile devices.
- It also comes with a really nice travel case. This is something you could either put underneath your car seat or in your glove box or in your trunk.
- Nice and smooth exterior.
- It is 5 in 1 multi-function car jump starter.
- Built-in intelligent clamps that protect reverse polarity, high temperature, overcharge, and overcurrent.
- Full power jump starting.
- The plastic of clamps is of poor quality.
8. Schumacher XP2260 – Instant Power Source:
The Schumacher 1200 Peak Amp portable power station is a powerful jump starter. This is a complete and all-around best power source for all your battery and pneumatic needs. It has numerous features for handy power when you’re away from home and need jump-starting in any case of emergency. The XP2260 comes with a built-in air compressor which gives 150 psi along with an additional inflate and deflate feature that makes it awesome portable jump starters from its other models.
The jump starter comes with two 12 volt DC power outlets and two 120 volt AC power outlets for flexible powering of all your high demand devices and automotive solution. A 2 amp USB port is available for two times faster charging of USB devices such as cell phones or tablets etc.
It has the heavy-duty eight gauge extended battery clamps that reach from the ground to your top or side post battery. Hookup safeguard alarm that protects against improper connection and 1200-watt peak power all provide for an easy jump start. The unit also includes a built-in efficient ultra-bright LED light. It comes with 150 psi air compressor with pressure gauge nozzles and storage area. This is great for sports balls, car and bike tires. The inflate and deflate feature can fill beach balls, rafts blowup beds and much more.
Estimated Time for Inflating:
- High power air compressor gauge and compressor inflator switch.
- Fast charging USB port.
- Specific jump start on/off switch.
- It comes with maintenance-free, sealed lead acid battery.
- It has a built-in charger for automatic charging of its internal battery.
- Battery status LEDs which shows when the battery is fully charged or needs to be charged.
Internal battery type: Maintenance-free AGM lead-acid
Nominal voltage: 12V DC
DC power outlet (max. continuous load): 15A (both outlets combined)
Built-in work light (non-replaceable): 3 white LEDs
Jumper cables: 4-gauge AWG, 24 Inches
- Two 12V accessory outlets.
- Digital display.
- Built-in work light.
- High-quality product.
- Two 120V AC outlets.
- Built-in inflator and deflator.
- Too bulky in size.
- A little bit expensive.
9. DBPOWER 300A – With Powerful Capacity:
DBPOWER is a famous brand which designed a huge range of portable jump starters. The last in our list is DB power 300A which is an entry level jump starter. It is also one of the best multi-purpose jump starter available in the market. It comes with a really nice package box so, it makes a great gift.
Let’s dive in further to explore more about this particular jump starter. It has the power button on the front. A single USB port for charging your phone or other devices that you want to charge. Its 8,000 milliamps per hour so you will probably get about three or four phone charges out of it. It has four lights which tells how much charge is left in the battery. You’ll see four lights which show 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% charging.
The battery clips are pretty strong and spring-loaded. The cables are also really nice and heavy. This is a nice jump starter to have it in a car.
- Its ultra-compatible which can jump start your vehicle up to 20 times when it is fully charged.
- It can also be used as a powerful power bank, because of its 8000mAh battery.
- Built-in LED flashlight with three different modes (high, strobe, SOS).
- It has a built-in safeguard system that protects against over-current, short-circuit, overload, over-voltage, and over-charge.
- Very tiny in size and easy to carry.
- Comprehensive manual.
- Recharge time is 5 hours using USB charger.
- Intelligent protection clamps.
- Portable Charger.
- It is not to be used with a battery that has been dead for a long period.
- Only compatible with Gas engines up to 2.5L.
- Limited accessories come inside the box
10. Aickar 800A, Ultra-slim Design:
The next in our list is Aickar 19800mAh. It can jump-start all Gas and 4.5L Diesel Engines. When you hold this jump starter it feels really nice. The size of this battery booster is pretty decent and very light in weight.
This booster is also called an emergency life saver. When it is fully charged it can jump-start your vehicle up to 30 times.
It comes with battery indicator lights that are very bright as well as a flashlight. You have to hold down the button to turn on the flashlight. It also has two DC connections on the side, and two USBs port, one is 1 amp the other one is 2 amps.
Initially, it takes 6 hours to get the full charge. The one thing that is really unique about this jump starter is that when it has only 25% battery is left. It will not let you charge anything else other than your car battery. This 25% is reserved just to jump-start your car.
- The intelligent clamp offers more than 5 advanced safety features.
- Safety features include reverse polarity, overload, over-charge, over-current and over-voltage protection.
- It works very well in severe weather conditions.
- LED Flashlight has 3 different modes (bright, SOS Emergency and Strobe).
- Not only a jump starter but you can charge many of your other electronic devices such as laptops, tablets, cell phones and camera batteries.
- All the accessories come in a well-organized nice case and every item has its own portion.
- Ultra-slim design.
Start Current: 400A
Peak Current: 800A
Full charging time: 6 hours
- Jump starter
- Jumper cables
- AC adapter
- Car charger
- USB cable
- Cigarette lighter adaptor
- 1 in 8 Laptop cable
- Powerful little jump starter.
- Great for field charging FPV Drone Batteries.
- Excellent quality product.
- Advanced safety technology.
- A perfect gift for anyone who is car enthusiastic.
- Jump-start connections cables are too short in length.
How to Use Portable Jump Starters
It’s happened to all of us when you leave your headlights on or your battery just drains for some reason and you need to jump start it. You must know how to use it in order to jump-start your vehicle.
First, we will discuss what are the basic features of jump starters. So, it will be easy for you to use it.
Features of Portable Car Jump Starters:
There are many usages of jump starters such as:
- They can jump-start your vehicle.
- When there is no power they can charge your laptops and your mobile devices.
- Built-in LED flashlight which can be used in some emergency.
- Some jump starters also come with an air compressor that can help you with your pneumatic needs.
These are the basic things which every jump starter comes with.
How to Jump-Start your Car?
Now, we will see what steps we should take in order to safely and properly start a car with portable car jump starters.
Before Making Connections:
First, you have to make sure that your jump starter is fully charged. It is important to note because if your device is not fully charged it will not perform well or maybe it will not jump start your car.
After checking your device is fully charged, now it’s time to connect it to the battery.
Before connecting it to the battery, one should check the positive and negative terminals of the battery. Because if you connect the cables in reverse polarity and your jump starter is not intelligent enough to detect it by itself, it can cause serious damage to your battery and jump starter too.
Step01: Connecting the Jump Starter:
Following the polarity, it’s time to connect the jump starter with battery terminals. Connect red cable with a positive terminal and the black cable with negative terminal.
Step02: Turn on the Vehicle Engine:
When the connection is made, turn on the jump starter and wait for few seconds. Now try to start the vehicle. If your jump starter is fully charged it will start your car in the first attempt. If not, then try 2-3 times more.
Step03: Disconnecting the Jump Starter:
After your vehicle starts, wait for few seconds and then disconnect the jumper cables. On average, if the jump starter is fully charged it can boost your battery 20-30 times.
If you follow these simple steps, it will not only increase the life of your jump starter but also it will be good for your battery.
Difference b/w Portable Jump Starters and Car Battery Chargers
Most people get confused between car battery chargers and jump starters. Many of them think that they both are the same devices. But there is a huge difference between them and both are completely different devices.
I have explained this in the chart below;
|Portable Jump Starters||Car Battery Chargers|
|It will not re-charge the battery.||It will re-charge the battery.|
|This is a temporary solution for your battery. If your battery is weak, you might need to jump-start it again.||If your dead battery is full after charging with battery chargers, they don’t need a boost next time.|
|It can instantly boost your battery and start your vehicle.||While this can take hours to charge your battery.|
|Jump starters do not need external power to boost your battery.||Battery chargers need external AC supply in order to recharge your battery.|
|You need to recharge them after boosting your vehicle.||No recharge facility available.|
These are the few major differences between battery boosters and battery chargers. There is no hard and fast rule when choosing between them. It all depends on personal needs and requirements.
If you want to increase your battery life and make sure that your batteries are always fully charged then go for the charger.
In case if you are living in cold weather and facing difficulties to start your vehicle in the morning then jump starters would be a good option.